Baby Epp

Friday, March 16, 2007

The Belly

It's interesting how one has to adjust to this new appendage out front. I keep bumping into things, pulling my chair up too close to desks/tables (i used to be able to sit that close!), and trying to open doors which end up hitting my mid-section instead of missing me entirely.

And it's an interesting sensation - understand that and at different times in my life, i have carried some extra weight on my stomach area. Not a lot, just some tummy bulge. When that tummy came into contact with things, i wouldn't notice much, it was just gushy and would move out of the way. Now, this new belly is hard and firm and has someone in it, so it's quite a different feeling when it comes into contact with something.

Anthony of course gives the belly tons of attention, he kisses it goodbye every morning when he leaves for work, greets it when i arrive home, and often tries to feel for and poke baby parts (especially when doing so pushes on my full bladder, what fun). I think i've mentioned how sometimes at night I'll wake up because all of a sudden his hand is on my belly, and i have to explain to him that baby isn't moving at that time, so he can let me sleep and wait 'till later. His father was notorious for finding and tickling his sister's feet while they were in utero, to the point where his mother suffered cracked and dislocated ribs from the baby's reactions to this stimulation. Yeah. Not fun. Anthony knows that he will be in BIG TROUBLE if he ever tries that, but he always teases me and sees how far he can push it. I may have to sleep with one eye open in the coming months... But this aside, it is really neat to see him interacting with his unborn child in these ways.

The girls at my youth group (14-17ish) are fascinated by the belly. They talk to it every week, and last week they were asking "Can we feel the baby move?" I said "Well if s/he were moving right now you probably could, but s/he's pretty quiet at the moment." I then proceeded to show them and let them feel where the bum was, and poke at various other baby body parts in there. Most of the girls had never experienced this before, and they thought it was the coolest thing. So then I sat there for 20 mins with six hands on my belly (yes, there was room for all six) waiting to see if this baby would move for them.

I really don't mind people touching my belly (IF THEY ASK FIRST). I'm a pretty open person, and touch is comfortable for me as long as i know the person somewhat. My close friend Candace has felt my kid moving quite early on (after Anthony), and my coworkers have poked and prodded baby parts like the girls did.

I also know that society seems to have this fascination with pregnant bellies, and that at some point, strangers may want to touch the belly, perhaps will do so without asking, etc. I think THIS will bother me, but when it's people I know who have asked first, i really don't mind. I think part of it is that i'm so fascinated by it that it's neat to have others share in it as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angie said...

I would definitely have to agree with asking to touch first. But I suppose I am not a really 'touchy' person. I don't usually touch people unless they touch me first. But pregnant bellies are quite fun. In massage school they taught us about massaging pregnant tummies, so if you ever want a pregnant belly massage you know where to go ;)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Nevada said...

Towards the end the belly was like it's own person. Chester started to say something once and then stopped himself; he was going to ask if he could have some pictures of just him and the belly (but then remembered that it was attached to me ;)

12:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home