Baby Epp

Monday, June 04, 2007

the cartoons say it all

A couple random notes here that have been floating in my brain...



Saturday was a very emotional day for me, I had not slept well the night before, and Anthony mentioned my snoring/loud breathing in the morning, which made the tears come. No idea why. And then my sister & i were talking about strollers, and i got all teary and sad at the fact that we don't have a stroller picked out, and it turned into "i am going to be housebound when this kid comes if we can't get a stroller but how can we get one now when i don't know what kind to get and don't want to end up buying 3 or 4 different ones??" Yeah. I had to tell myself it was the hormones and lack of sleep, and that it would all be ok. And some cuddles from Anthony and reassurances from him that we could go get a stroller any day i wanted to helped as well. (any tips/suggestions on which style/type to get??)




I also have been noticing how people are generally more amicable towards me and go out of their way (in more ways than one) to accomodate me, such as holding doors open, giving me a wide berth (which I do appreciate instead of bumping into people/shopping carts, etc), and generally looking at my belly, then looking at me and smiling. It's as if bringing a baby into this world elevates your status for a bit...i don't think it's even a conscious thing, it makes me wonder if it's like this in all cultures... (Of course there has to be an exception to every positive trend, and mine would be standing on the corner of ruth & munroe for a VERY long time yesterday when I was walking the dog, waiting for a car, any car, to stop and let me across the street. Grrrr.)

And the other thing that the above cartoon reminded me of was a great picture opportunity from yesterday - we went to a Kadesh fundraiser lunch at Anthony's parent's church, and his prego sister and i were talking (and giving our kids some quality cousin time with our bellies together). Pete Friesen came up, he's a wonderful older man that Anthony has called "Grandpa" since he was very young, he's been a close family friend of their's for 30-ish years. He jokingly stuck his belly into the mix with ours, and so we made him pose for a picture with us. Haven't seen it yet, but that will be a print to keep. He referred to himself as "grandpa pete", and i corrected him and said "no, it would be GREAT-grandpa, 'cuz you were grandpa to Anthony!"

9 Comments:

Blogger becky said...

Go for a jogging-type stroller -- big wheels! I got a collapsible one, but regret the fact that it's got such small wheels.

5:49 PM  
Blogger becky said...

p.s. Thinking of you as the big day approaches!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

It seems like most people I know opted for a stroller with the removable baby carrying seat. They are generally quite large though, and when it comes time to pack things to go on a roadtrip with baby, you may wish you had one that was smaller.

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lynette,

Thought I would throw my two cents in here. :) I have not heard good things about the jogging strollers (well, at least the graco brand) - hard to turn corners because the front wheel doesn't pivot. I think any of the carseat/stroller combos are pretty much the same, and super convenient. We still use the stroller all the time. It's a good idea to look in the Sears flyer. They have them on sale often, and sometimes the first 100 customers get an extra $20 off and stuff like that.

PS. Hope Anthony got the toilet okay!

- Jody

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It depends on where/what you will use your stroller for. If you will mostly use it indoors (ie. the mall) or always on pavement, a stroller with smaller wheels is probably fine.

I have a jogger stroller because I use it year-round and need the big, inflatable wheels: at the lake in the summer (paths & gravel only -- no pavement), and in the mud & snow in the city the rest of the year. I find the jogger does a better job through unshovelled, snow-covered sidewalks than a sled.

I know a lot of people like those carseat/stroller combination strollers, but I was glad I didn't get one because my kids outgrew their infant carseats at 4 months. (However, you can still use it without the carseat. But, if you think you will have a large baby, you're paying for a feature you will hardly use.)

If the jogger seems a bit big for a newborn, a snugli or wrap is better for that age anyway, until they're big enough for the jogger (although I put my newborns in the jogger). Also, another plug for the jogger: they make them a lot better now then they used to. There are lots of different price ranges, levels of quality, and features.

Any way you cut it, you will probably end up getting more than one stroller. At some point you will probably opt for a $10 umbrella stroller to keep in you trunk for tight aisles at the mall, and then eventually a double-stroller or bike trailer of some sort.

So, don't stress about it too much; it will not be the only stroller you buy!

P.S. I have a friend who says everyone needs a minimum of 8 strollers. That's a bit excessive. But, it just goes to show you there's a stroller for every purpose.

12:09 AM  
Blogger LJE said...

ok, so what i'm hearing is big wheels if not just for pavement/indoor use, jogging ones only if they have the swivel wheel in front; travel systems good except for size/bulk, and you can use some of the big wheeled/jogging ones for newborns...

thanks everyone, you've really helped out here! (and if anyone has other tips/recommendations, please don't hesitate to leave them)

1:48 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I would have to agree with Jess - you will end up with more than one strollers. You'll need more than an umbrella one at the beginning, but those are great a little later for tights places. "Joggers" have come a long way - actually I'd recommend an All-Terrain stroller (same idea as jogger, but swivelling front wheel option, and you can usually buy a carseat adapter to go with it, plus you can still jog with it, by locking the front wheel). Personally, I'd spend the money on a good stroller - I certainly don't regret doing that with mine. If you want to pop into Cravings either on Tuesday or Wednesday, I usually work those days and we can chat about them. No pressure to buy from us, I can just show you some different options, rather than the Sears brands, which I personally don't think are the best quality - you do get what you pay for!

8:42 PM  
Blogger LJE said...

thanks allison for the offer, what time do you work on those days? Also do you carry the bravado washable breast pads?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Allison said...

Hey Lynette,
I'm actually at Cravings today, until 5:30. And then I don't work until next Wednesday (I don't think I work Tuesday - there is a week here soon that I work Wed & Thurs instead of my usual Tues & Wed). Always until 5:30, except that Thurs, I think I might have the late shift - until 8:00. We don't sell the Bravado washable, but we sell the Medela washable. We also have these different ones, called LilyPadz and they help control the leak itself. They are also washable. I think they have a website - www.lilypadz.com

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home